Main Article Content
The readiness of the teachers on the opening of classes and the way they address the problems they encounter are crucial especially in times of crisis like COVID-19. To dive into this issue, the researchers conducted a study with a focus on the readiness and problems encountered by teachers in Quezon Province on the opening of School Year 2020-2021. The aim of this research was also to propose an intervention scheme. The researchers used cluster sampling method in the study, employing the descriptive-quantitative method. The results revealed that the teachers possessed a positive outlook towards their profession and claimed that they are ready to perform their duties and responsibilities under the new normal engendered by the COVID-19 pandemic. This readiness was verbally expressed as " Ready" and is reflected in the overall mean score of 2.85. Meanwhile, the problems encountered by the teachers was verbally interpreted as "Not A Problem At All" as reflected by the overall mean score of 1.74. A concern was, however, shown on the reproduction of modules which affects and compromises the teacher’s time management. Also, teachers seemed to be having a hard since their internet connection is not stable and not good enough to subscribe to online seminars and trainings which were both verbally interpreted as “Problem is Serious”. To address the serious problems encountered, the teachers may find the intervention scheme proposed in this paper. The scheme is purposely designed to resolve and overcome the problems encountered by the teachers particularly during the opening of classes due to the CoVid-19 pandemic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- 1. Alea, et.al. (2020). Teachers’ Covid-19 Awareness, Distance learning education experiences and perceptions towards institutional readiness and challenges. Retrieved November 24, 2020 from: https://www.ijlter.org/index.php/ijlter/article/view/2231/pdf
- 2. Aque, L. Y. (2016). Attitudes and Mathematics Performance among Students of Ungos National High School at Real, Quezon towards an Effective Mathematics Instruction.
- 3. Bintliff, A.(2020). How Covid-19 has influenced teachers' well-being. Retrieved January 21, 2021 from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/multidimensional-aspects-adolescent-well-being/202009/how-covid-19-has-influenced-teachers-well
- 4. Brooks, D. & Grajek, S. (2020). Faculty readiness to begin fully remote teaching. Retrieved May 21, 2020 from: https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2020/3/faculty-readiness-to-begin-fully-remote-teaching
- 5. Burgees, S & Sievertsen, H. (2020). Schools, skills and learning: The impact of CoVid-19 on education. Retrieved May 2, 2020 from: https://voxeu.org/article/impact-covid-19-education
- 6. Cherry, K. (2019). History and key concepts of behavioral psychology . Retrieved May 7, 2020 from: https://www.verywellmind.com/behavioral-psychology-4157183
- 7. Creswell, J. (2006). Understanding mixed methods research. Retrieved August 5, 2020 from:https://www.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/10981_Chapter_1.pdf
- 8. Eagle News (2021). DepEd sets up learning continuity plan as new normal this school opening; no more traditional classroom set-up. Retrieved November 23, 2020 from: https://www.eaglenews.ph/deped-sets-up-learning-continuity-plan-as-new-normal-this-school-opening-no-more-traditional-classroom-set-up/#:~:text=The%20Learning%20Continuity%20Plan%20%28LCP%29%2C%20DepEd%20said%2C%20takes,by%20August%20this%20year%2C%E2%80%9D%20DepEd%20said%20in%20
- 9. Kurtz, H. (2020). National survey tracks impact of Coronavirus on schools: 10 key findings. Retrieved May 23, 2020 from:https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020/04/10/national-survey-tracks-impact-of-coronavirus-on.html
- 10. Lagua, B. (2020). Teaching in the new normal. Retrieved November 21, 2020 from: https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/10/30/business/columnists-business/teaching-in-the-new-normal/788762/
- 11. Luz, J. (2020). How ready are our basic education schools for the 2020 school opening?. Retrieved November 27, 2020 from: https://www.rappler.com/voices/thought-leaders/analysis-how-ready-basic-education-schools-for-2020-opening
- 12. Malipot, M. (2020). Teachers’ group hopeful for the revision of school calendar amid the pandemic. Retrieved May 31, 2020 from: https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/05/30/teachers-group-hopeful-for-the-revision-of-school-calendar-amid-the-pandemic/
- 13. Moreno,J. & Gortazar, L. (2020). Schools’ readiness for digital learning in the eyes of principals. An analysis from PISA 2018 and its implications for the COVID19 (Coronavirus) crisis response. Retrieved May 7, 2020 from: https://blogs.worldbank.org/education/schools-readiness-digital-learning-eyes-principals-analysis-pisa-2018-and-its
- 14. Rubio, B. (2020). DepEd urged to postpone reopening of classes consider regional resumptions. Retrieved August 25, 2020 from: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/08/12/2034773/deped-urged-postpone-reopening-classes-consider-regional-resumptions
- 15. Saavedra, J.(2020). Educational challenges and opportunities of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Retrieved May 3, 2020 from: https://blogs.worldbank.org/education/educational-challenges-and-opportunities-covid-19-pandemic
- 16. Sarif, N. (2020). Teaching crisis and teachers’ role in times of CoVid-19 pandemic. Retrieved January 22, 2021 from:https://countercurrents.org/2020/08/teaching-crisis-and-teachers-role-in-times-of-covid-19-pandemic/
- 17. Umil, A. (2020). Not enough protection and care for teachers amid the pandemic. Retrieved September 17, 2020 from: https://www.bulatlat.com/2020/09/15/not-enough-protection-and-care-for-teachers-amid-the-pandemic/
- 18. UNESCO. (2020). CoVid-19 webinar: A new world for teachers, education’s frontline. Retrieved May 16, 2020 from: https://en.unesco.org/news/covid-19-webinar-new-world-teachers-educations-frontline-workers-covid-19-education-webinar-2
- 19. Thomas, L. (2020). An introduction to cluster sampling. Retrieved February 21, 2021 from: https://www.scribbr.com/methodology/cluster-sampling/
- 20. World Health Organization. (2020). Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. Retrieved May 2, 2020 from: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1